Followers

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Annotated Bibliography

Hawthorne, Nathaniel. "The Scarlet Letter and Other Writings". Norton Critical Edition. New York, London: W.W. Norton; Company, 2005. Print.

1. Some themes found within this popular novel deal with what is right and wrong in the eyes of society, what is morally acceptable within a religious civilization, and pushing the boundaries within a strict culture.

" 'I have greatly wronged thee,' murmered Hester.'We have greatly wronged each other,' answered he" (Hawthorne, p 53).

" 'Thou art not my child! Thou art no Pearl of mine!' said the mother... 'Tell me, then, what thou art, and who sent thee hither?' said the child... 'Thy Heavenly Father sent thee!' answered Hester Prynne... 'He did not send me!' cried she, positively. 'I have no Heavenly Father!' " (Hawhorne, p 67). 

No comments:

Post a Comment