Followers

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Difficulty Paper #1

For my very first difficulty paper, I'd like to speak about the first thing that I am having difficulty with between both our novel, The Scarlet Letter, and with our most recent short story, Young Goodman Brown. With both pieces of literature, I am finding it increasingly difficult to read the style of English they both use. That style of language, which to me is almost like old English, that to me resembles both the bible and works by Shakespeare, is very hard for me to understand. Because we don't speak in the same way that these works of literature were written in, it's not like our common language we use to communicate therefor it's not easy to know right off the bat what some words and phrases mean. So instead of just zooming right through the book and comprehending it the first time I read it, I have to reread sometimes even multiple times before I use contextual clues to fully understand what it is that the author is trying to say. I also have a dictionary right by my side to help me better understand some words that I've honestly never heard before. So between rereading passages, using clues in the text, and having a dictionary by my side, I have began to adopt ways of overcoming not understanding the language of the text.

3 comments:

  1. I am also finding it difficult to read the Scarlett Letter. I think it is hard mainly because we are not accustomed to this style of literature, which uses a lot of fancy words such as shall, thee, thy, thine, and thou. When those types of words are used it is easy to get bored from reading and lose focus in what the story is about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I find it difficult to!! We are not used to reading in this style of writting, and we are definatly don't talk this way. Having a dictionary with you is a good idea, I have tried this as well and it does help when you don't know a word to look it up. Although this often takes time and you sometimes lose your place when you go back to the text. I think that KC stated it well, that you can easily get bored and lose focus. Sooo good luck with the rest of this book and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish this was a parallel universe where I understood all types of writing, sadly it is not I am on this same sinking ship as well Allison. But I do greatly enjoy history and before I began reading the book I skimmed to the back of the book and found a semi-poorly drawn map of where the scarlett locations are. This map was drawn in 1905 true centuarys later! But still that sparked it for me to start reading, how ever lost intrest super quick. Felt like I had ran a brain reading triathlon. But as I kept to it and try to imagin myself back then seeing this all go down keeps my flint spark lit ever so softly. For it does get a bit better later.

    ReplyDelete